Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Never forget - don't panic

Yesterday for a short time I started to panic. My old friend the ***hole ... BSP-hole, I mean :-)

It's amazing how fragile BSP is. I had quite liberally added loose floortiles all over the place by subtracting the volume of one or more tiles and placing static mesh tiles. Well, obviously that was some BSP cuts too many. Luckily I was quite sure the BSP hole had not been there before, thus removing some subtractive brushes was all it took to fix it. Disturbing anyway. No wonder people tend to base their maps on static meshes nowadays. BSP is a QA nightmare.

Apart from that I'm progressing quite nicely. Today I have added some intro lyrics

Warm sand under a golden sky, sweet like honey.
On this lonely island death waits in the ancient fortress atop of the hill.
Will you dare to enter?

and the material sequence for the level preview. A little bit over the top with 10 images, but it looks real nice :-)

The map has 27 player starts and 15 weapons. I recommend it for 6 to 16 players. Everything less and you feel real lonely. Maybe I make a version with only the core of the fortress reachable, i.e. restrict player movement to the part that is based on Adam "Senn" Bellefeuil's "Agony & Ecstasy" for Quake III. I could use another skybox for that. I have created so many since I've started experimenting with Terragen. Actually, when in its beginnings this map was "Agony 2k3 Ecstasy", I had a different skybox, late morning on a sunny but stormy day. Still one of my favourites.

No comments: